The Commission has released its final report on The Expropriation Act of Manitoba. The Commission makes 10 recommendations to improve and clarify certain areas of The Expropriation Act. The report forms part of a series entitled Creating Efficiencies in the Law, which seeks to address discrete, straightforward issues that, in the Commission’s view, can be improved with relatively simple legislative amendments. To see the full report click here. (From website)
The Government of Manitoba has proclaimed the following Acts:
- The Mental Health Amendment Act (whole Act), SM 2016, c. 8 , effective June 1, 2019
- The Courts Modernization Act (Various Acts Amended) (Part 1 and sections 6, 15, 19 and 26 to 29), SM 2019, c. 16 , effective July 1, 2019
- The Family Law Modernization Act (Schedule C — The Arbitration Amendment Act (Family Law), whole Act except section 21; Schedule E — The Family Maintenance Amendment Act), SM 2019, c. 8, effective July 1, 2019
- The Red Tape Reduction and Government Efficiency Act, 2018 (subsections 26(1) and (3) to (9) and section 37), SM 2018, c. 29, effective July 1, 2019
- The Red Tape Reduction and Government Efficiency Act, 2018 (section 35), SM 2018, c. 29, effective September 1, 2019
Do you practice in Ontario? OCLA has created an app for information on 47 law libraries in the province and what resources they offer. If you’re travelling to Kenora, wouldn’t you like to know when the courthouse and the library are open before you get there? Simply scan the QR code below or visit: http://oclanet.com/app.html for more information.
The Manitoba Law Library will be closing at 11:00 am on Friday, June 21st for a swearing in ceremony reception.
After hours access will be available after 5:00 pm on Friday.
Regular hours will resume on Monday, June 24th.
Vol. 38 No. 3 of the Estates Trusts & Pensions Journal has arrived in the library.
From the Law Reports
Henson Trusts: A Sham in Sheep’s Clothing? A Comment on S.A. v. Metro Vancouver Corp. – by Joel Nitikman
Seguin v. Pearson: Due Clarity on Undue Influence – by Lionel J. Tupman and Amanda Bettencourt
Beyond Great Expectations: Spes Successionis in 21st Century Canadian Law – by Calvin Hancock
Planning Considerations for Digital Assets – by Ian M. Hull, Suzana Popovic-Montag, and Nick Esterbauer
The Effectiveness of Exulpatory Clauses – by Carla Figliomeni
The Effect of Marriage Breakdown on Pension Rights in Ontario – by Melanie Yach and Andrea McEwan
If you are a member of the Law Society of Manitoba and would like to receive a copy of any of these articles, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.