From April 23rd to the 27th, various events involving writing wills, health care directives, understanding the power and role of “Power of Attorney”, and more will be happening around Winnipeg! If you’d like to find out more information about Will Week and the events happening, please see this page at The Winnipeg Foundation.
Here at the library, we’re hosting a display featuring our most up-to-date and informative texts on the subject of writing wills, which we hope will be a huge benefit to our members who may encounter some interesting questions from clients in the coming weeks on this subject!
These texts are as follows:
- Capacity and Undue Influence by John E. S. Poyser
- Waters’ Law of Trusts in Canada, 4th ed., edited by D. W. M. Waters
- Oosterhoff on Wills, 8th ed., by Albert H. Oosterhoff
- Drafting Wills in Canada: A Lawyer’s Practical Guide, 2nd ed., Robyn Solnik et al
- The Law of Dependants’ Relief in Canada by Cameron Harvey
- Manitoba CPLED Program 2016-2017: Wills and Estates
- Feeney’s Canadian Law of Wills, 4th ed., (looseleaf) by James MacKenzie
If you would like to take out any of these texts, please feel free to contact our staff.
You asked, they listened! Last month, CanLII announced that several law reviews would be added to the platform. Then, a few weeks ago, a couple of newsletters were added. Today, they announced even more commentary:
Last month we were delighted to announce that law journal articles and newsletters are now available in CanLII’s Commentary section, and now we get to tell you that we have added more books and reports.
Providing authoritative legal resources for the profession and the public while using CanLII’s intuitive search platform is fantastic. Kudos to CanLII and the Federation of Law Societies of Canada for the successful completion of this project.
Check the CanLII blog for the full announcement.
Law Day, held in commemoration of the signing of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, will take place on Sunday, April 15, 2018. Presented by the Manitoba Bar Association and the Manitoba Department of Justice, the Law Courts themselves will be open to the public for tours, mock trials, debates, presentations and demonstrations (including demonstrations by a drug detector dog).
The library itself will be open for viewing, although no library staff will be available that day.
If you’d like to know more about Law Day Winnipeg, please check out the Manitoba Bar Association’s website. Admission is free, and if you require disability accommodation, they ask that you e-mail them directly to the e-mail listed on the previous link provided.
The latest — and last! — physical copy of the Ottawa Law Review is now available in the library. Going forward we will no longer be carrying physical copies but, all issues of Ottawa L Rev are available for free via CanLII.
The contents of Vol. 48 No. 1 are:
- Omnibus Bills: Constitutional Constraints and Legislative Liberations by Adam M. Dodek
- Proportionality as a Moral Process: Reconceiving Judicial Discretion and Mandatory Minimum Penalties by Lauren Witten
- Revisiting the Open Court Principle in an Era of Online Publication: Questioning Presumptive Public Access to parties’ and Witnesses’ Personal Information by Jacquelyn Burkell and Jane Bailey
Please note the above list is only the English written articles in OLR; the rest of the articles in this issue are in French.
Other law journals that are available on CanLII that may be of interest include: Alberta Law Review, Dalhousie Journal of Legal Studies, and Appeal: Review of Current Law and Law Reform. Check CanLIIDocs for the full list of secondary sources.
Vol. 37, No. 1 of the Estates, Trusts and Pensions Journal has just arrived.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
From the Law Reports
- Release of Lawyer’s Will File by Kimberly Kuntz and Louise Hamill
- Disputes over Parental Care when the Dutiful Child wants to be Paid by Ruth M. Corbin and Barry S. Corbin
- Testamentary Freedom and Public Policy in Canada by Ed Esposto
- Conflict of Laws and the Right of a Minor or Minor’s Guardian to Payment/Transfer of a Movable Gift by Will by K. Thomas Grozinger
- Pension Fund Investment and Climate Change: A Legal Imperative by Krupa Kotecha
- More on 104(24): when are amounts “payable” “to” a beneficiary? by Joel Nitikman
If you would like to receive a copy of any of these articles, please contact the us at email@example.com.