Hansard is the official record of all debates and meetings of the legislature. It is an invaluable resource when researching the intricacies behind particular legislation. Manitoba’s Hansard is online from 1958 to the present, however, using it can be quite challenging, particularly when you’re looking for information prior to 1996.
Legal Information Professional Allyssa McFadyen received some tips from staff at the Legislative Assembly’s Reading Room, and developed this easy-to-follow guide.
If you have further questions or difficulty with finding out what the government was thinking when they designed a particular statute, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Law in the Library is a free program offered by the Winnipeg Public Library in conjunction with the Community Legal Education Association. This program offers free sessions on various areas of law, presented by professionals.
Registration through the Winnipeg Public Library is required.
The upcoming sessions are:
Thursday, September 13: 6:30- 8 pm. Register
Tuesday, October 2: 6:30-8 pm. Register
Monday, October 15: 6:30 – 8pm. Register
Tuesday, October 30: 12 – 1 pm. Register
Thursday, November 1: 6:30-8 pm. Register
Monday, November 5: 5:30-7:30 pm. Register
Volume 37, No. 4 of the Estates, Trusts, & Pensions Journal has just arrived.
From the Law Reports
- Be Careful What You Promise: Proprietary Estoppel in Cowper-Smith v. Morgan by Rachael Kwan and Jason M. Chin
- Till Death Do Us Part, or Does It? When Spousal Support Obligations Extend Beyond the Grave by Kimberly D. Visram
- Halachic Estate Planning – Tax and Litigation Risks by Charles B. Wagner, David Wagner and David Posner
- When in Doubt, Refer Them Out: When is Independent Legal Advice Desirable in Estate and Tax-Planning Transactions? by Karon C. Bales
- The Impact of Illegal Behaviour on Resulting Trusts: Reforming the Reliance Principle in Canada by Calvin Hancock
- Charitable Remainder Trusts – An Update by M. Elena Hoffstein
If you would like to receive a copy of any of these articles, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Incorporated Council of Law Reporting for England and Wales
Here’s the Weekly Case Law Update for September 10, 2018.
If you are a member of the Law Society of Manitoba, and would like a copy of any of the decisions from the digest please contact the library and we will be happy to provide those for you.
Members of the Law Society of Manitoba have access to HeinOnline through the Members’ Portal. Having access to a resource isn’t all that helpful if you don’t know how to use it, however. Lauren Mattiuzzo recently published some research tips to use when searching HeinOnline:
Out with the old, in with the bold