The Government of Manitoba proclaimed the following:
With the advice and consent of the Executive Council of
Manitoba, we name September 30, 2018, as the day on which
sections 10 and 11 of The Regulatory Accountability Act and
Amendments to The Statutes and Regulations Act
(S.M. 2017, c. 21) come into force.
This Act establishes The Regulatory Accountability Act.
Regulatory accountability is based on the principles of achieving balance with regulatory requirements, identifying the best option for them, assessing their impact, consulting and communicating about them, monitoring and minimizing their number, and streamlining their design.
Law in the Library is a free program offered by the Winnipeg Public Library in conjunction with the Community Legal Education Association. This program offers free sessions on various areas of law, presented by professionals.
Registration through the Winnipeg Public Library is required.
The upcoming sessions are:
Thursday, September 13: 6:30- 8 pm. Register
Tuesday, October 2: 6:30-8 pm. Register
Monday, October 15: 6:30 – 8pm. Register
Tuesday, October 30: 12 – 1 pm. Register
Thursday, November 1: 6:30-8 pm. Register
Monday, November 5: 5:30-7:30 pm. Register
Volume 37, No. 4 of the Estates, Trusts, & Pensions Journal has just arrived.
From the Law Reports
- Be Careful What You Promise: Proprietary Estoppel in Cowper-Smith v. Morgan by Rachael Kwan and Jason M. Chin
- Till Death Do Us Part, or Does It? When Spousal Support Obligations Extend Beyond the Grave by Kimberly D. Visram
- Halachic Estate Planning – Tax and Litigation Risks by Charles B. Wagner, David Wagner and David Posner
- When in Doubt, Refer Them Out: When is Independent Legal Advice Desirable in Estate and Tax-Planning Transactions? by Karon C. Bales
- The Impact of Illegal Behaviour on Resulting Trusts: Reforming the Reliance Principle in Canada by Calvin Hancock
- Charitable Remainder Trusts – An Update by M. Elena Hoffstein
If you would like to receive a copy of any of these articles, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
As of August 31, 2018, the library will no longer offer Legacy Quicklaw on our computers. Instead we will offer Lexis Advance Quicklaw to our users. View this LexisNexis User Guide to familiarize yourself with the new platform.
If you need assistance navigating the Advance platform, contact the library and we’ll be happy to help.
The Library will be closed on Monday, September 3rd for Labour Day.
Lawyers may access the library between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. by signing in at the security desk.
Regular hours resume on Tuesday, September 4th.