The Law Society of Manitoba’s newsletter, Communiqué, has just been released. It contains lots of important information, including our new address (for the law society itself, the library isn’t moving).
Tana Christianson, Director, Insurance writes about an iTunes gift card scam, there’s a notice of a judicial vacancy in the Northwest Territories, the discipline case digest directs you to two new decisions, and much more.
Lots to unpack in the latest Labour and Employment eLaw update:
- Supreme Court of Canada upheld a BC appeal tribunal’s ruling that the owner of a forest property on which an independent contractor’s employee was killed while felling trees was an employer within the meaning of the Workers Compensation Act and could be fined for failure to meet its safety obligations.
- SCC scrutinized Quebec’s pay equity regime in two decisions: 2018 SCC 17 and 2018 SCC 18
- SCC confirmed that employers have a duty to accommodate workers who have suffered work place injuries: 2018 SCC 3
- MBCA: Unsuccessful appeal of bad faith claim: 2018 MBCA 22
And much more.
The March 2018 edition of the Family Law Update has been published. Selected contents include:
- Applying the Right Legal Test for Summary Judgment: MBCA
- Appellate Correction of Interim Variation Order Warranted: MBCA
- Unprofessional Procedural Breaches Can Attract Costs Sanctions: MBCA
- Parental Alienation Decision Upheld: MBCA
- Post-Pronouncement Conduct Relevant in Awarding Costs: MBQB
- Homestead Rights, Life Estates, and Partition and Sale: MBQB
Members have the option of signing up for email delivery.
The latest edition of Business Law from Manitoba eLaw is now live! Some of the articles in Issue No. 82, March 2018 include:
- “Something More Than Nothing” Required to Discharge Duty: SCC
- BLA Does Not Apply to Contracts or Work Related to Hydro Project: MBQB
- Oppression Remedy Not Suited to Addressing Family Dispute: MBQB
- Legislative Update
- Federal Budget 2018
- Consultation on Modernizing The Builders’ Liens Act: MLRC
- Consultation Paper on Reviewing AML and ATF Regimes: Department of Finance
There’s been a lot of new developments on the litigation front since the last update in December. Highlights from Issue No. 84, February 2018:
- Modified Test for Mandatory Interlocutory Injunction: SCC
- Public Interest Standing and Supplementing Reasons: SCC
- No Realistic Chance of Success: MBCA/MBQB
- Careless Smoking Negligent: MBQB
- Recent Flood Claims
- Further Amendments to Court of Queen’s Bench Rules
- Court of Queen’s Bench Practice Direction
- Facilitating the Management of Multi-jurisdictional Class Actions: CBA
- Recommended Reading