The February 2018 edition, Update No. 86, has just been released.
In This Issue
- Indeterminate Sentences Constitutional: SCC
- Ensuring Juries are Properly Instructed: MBCA
- Photo Lineup Identification Evidence: MBCA
- Role of Exceptional Circumstances in Sentencing “Limited and Rare”: MBCA
- 45 Months’ Delay Unreasonable: MBQB
- Recent Sentencing Decisions
- Provincial Court Notice and Form
- Recommended Reading
- Criminal Justice Conference: CBA
The February 2018 edition of Communiqué, the Law Society of Manitoba’s newsletter, has just been published.
Featured content includes:
- An introduction to our new Equity Officer and Policy Counsel, Alissa Schacter;
- A timely article from General Counsel Darcia Senft on the duty of counsel to sign court orders and consent orders when your client instructs you not to;
- A reminder to report your CPD activities; and
- A very informative article from Karen Dyck at the Manitoba Law Foundation on where the interest from your trust account goes.
Our eLaw editor has been churning out updates fast and furiously (or should that be with fire and fury?) This February 2018 Update No. 31 on
Labour and Employment Law contains the following:
|In This Issue
|Expanding the Scope of the Prohibition Against Workplace Discrimination: SCC (British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal v. Schrenk)
Reasonable Notice and Compensation for Manner of Dismissal: MBCA (Grant v. Electra Sign Ltd.)
Conduct Decision Unreasonable: MBCA (Ahmed v. College of Registered Nurses)
Reduced Duty of Fairness Applies to Investigatory Bodies: MBCA (Kuny v. College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba)
Adding New Breach of Contract Claim in CNR Pension Dispute: MBQB (Hall et al v. Canadian National Railway)
Upcoming MBA Programs
2018 Accommodation Law Conference
Members of the Manitoba bar can sign up for email delivery of e-law publications as they’re published.
Update 90, January 2018 has been published. Contents include:
- Equity Enforces Promises That the Law Does Not: Cowper-Smith v. Morgan, SCC
- Courts Play a Critical Role in Safeguarding Treaty Rights: SCC
- Land Titles and Personal Property Registry Changes: Notices and Directives
- Recommended Reading
- STEP Programs
I found the Cowper-Smith decision of personal interest. When families no longer live close to aging parents, one sibling can be required to take on more caretaking duties than others, and there should be a way to guarantee recognition for this, especially, as in this case, where an oral agreement was in place.
The January 2018 edition of the Family Law Update has been published. Selected contents include:
- Decision Dismissing Variation Motion Upheld: MBCA
- Awarding Sole Custody Without Pleading a Procedural Error: MBCA
- Recent Care and Control Cases: MBQB
- $10,000 Security for Costs Ordered in High Conflict Support Variation Case: MBQB
- Review of Manitoba’s Child Welfare Legislation
- Annual Joint Family Law Program
- Collaborative Practice Manitoba Spring Offerings
Members have the option of signing up for delivery.